Thursday, August 2, 2012

BJD 30-day Challenge: Day 1

Q: Why do you like BJDs?


A: I have never liked dolls growing up, but I did adore artistic figurines, statuettes etc. - things of beauty, originality and imagination. My favorite place in the city was the Artists' Square, a place where not only artists, but craftsmen of all trades sold their works as souvenirs and deco pieces. For a while, I didn't really 'collect', but once in a while indulged myself in a creature or two of someone's imagination. However, you cannot really play with those things - or, as you age :) , you cannot really customize them. They are a finished work of art that is there to be admired. When I discovered the world of BJD, I loved the concept of endless possibilities that they bring along. You can change hair, eyes, clothes and shoes of your dolls, you can give them thousand of different expressions through painting, you can pose them in various ways and make them act out entire photo stories for you (my favorite genre on doll photography). I like the community of collectors, too, the passion they express for the hobby and never-ending supply of great photography they share. I would like to say I had taken some great pictures too, but that would not be true. It is true, however, that I had lots of fun taking those pictures, thinking up those stories and overall just planning my doll's looks... Even if I have never sewn a piece of doll clothing or done any face-ups myself, I still feel like the ultimate 'author' of the final look because I choose the style of work, the artists to commission, and I create the concept that weaves together the image. And then, when I have time, I get to take pictures and show off my dolls, that have by then become one-of-a-kind works of my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment